Go Back

Radon fatalities surpass all in-home hazards

Date Published: 02/26/2007 [Source]

When high amounts of radon become trapped in homes, the radioactive gas can be lethal. Prolonged exposure to this odorless, tasteless byproduct of the uranium decay process in soil is the leading cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers in the United States, according to Kristin Marstiller, a spokesperson for the National Safety Council, an organization dedicated to promoting health and protecting life.

The problem garnered national attention in mid-1980s. In the meantime, the instances of death associated with high levels of radon have surpassed all other hazards in homes, including falls and fires as well as drowning and poisoning. In an attempt to curb the deaths associated with prolonged exposure to the gas, January is designated as National Radon Action Month.