Date Published: 06/17/2020 [Source]
Spending more time at home has made all of us more aware of the air we breathe inside our homes. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor pollutant levels can be two to five times higher than outdoor pollutant levels. There are several sources of indoor air pollution, including tobacco products, fuel-burning appliances, building materials, excess moisture, household cleaners, and radon.
Radon is a radioactive gas that is the leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers. It is harmless outdoors but can be very dangerous when found in high quantities in a confined space, such as your home. High levels of radon can be found in new and older homes. Radon is a gas that is formed naturally when uranium in rock, soil and groundwater breaks down. Most of the time, radon harmlessly dissipates into the atmosphere outdoors; however, when radon concentrates inside your home it becomes a problem. It seeps into your home through cracks and crevices, and can even enter through your well water. The EPA estimates that each year around 21,000 people die from radon-induced lung cancer.
Radon has no smell and is invisible, so the only way to know if you have it is to test.