Date Published: 01/13/2020 [Source]
The Wyoming Department of Health (WDH) is reminding Wyoming families to test their homes for a dangerous gas.
Radon is an invisible, odorless, tasteless and dangerous gas that can be found in many places, including your homes. Radon occurs naturally as a radioactive gas released from the element radium and is found in rocks, soil and water. But as radium in the soil naturally degrades, it can seep up into homes, get trapped inside and build in its intensity.
There is no safe radon level, and higher level of radon exposure comes with a higher risk of health concerns. Radon is recognized as the second leading cause of lung cancer, and ongoing exposure to higher, dangerous radon levels can be reduced with testing and home modifications."
The Wyoming Cancer Program has low-cost radon test kits available for purchase.